CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

August 2012

From:
Tim Feinstein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Aug 2012 17:24:46 -0400

Yep, in my lab's experience you cannot have PFA fixation without permeabilization.  In some cases  an additional permeabilizing step improves staining, but some intracellular staining is inevitable after PFA.

However, Ms. Trop's problem is the reverse.  I would not panic a priori if I saw ubiquitinated proteins on the plasma membrane, but as to why you might find EEA1 on the plasma membrane, you have a few options.  Your labmate may have overfixed her cells, made a poor batch of staining buffer or in some other way interfered with the antibody's specificity.  You may have a batch of antibody that is old, not very good or which targets the wrong species.  Finally, an event that causes a large amount of PI3P to appear on the plasma membrane, for example lots of simultaneous clathrin-mediated endocytosis, could cause EEA1 to localize there temporarily.  In fact the many things that might cause EEA1 to go to the PM would probably involve an increase in ubiquitinated proteins on the PM as well.

To sort these possibilities out, try starting with a western blot.  If you get a clean band from this cell line at about 150-160 kDa, re-make the IF buffer solutions and try again.  Include cells with different treatment conditions (e.g., serum-starved for a while) to rule out the possibility that this is a weird positive result.

cheers,

TF

Timothy Feinstein, PhD
Postdoctoral Fellow
Laboratory for GPCR Biology
Dept. of Pharmacology & Chemical Biology
University of Pittsburgh, School of Medicine
BST W1301, 200 Lothrop St.
Pittsburgh, PA  15261