CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 2002

Date:
Thu, 3 Oct 2002 12:53:49 -0700

Tom, and everyone

Yes, MEK is marvelous and toxic solvent. One should probably include
as part of the "last resort" category. However, it is more viscous
than acetone and applying it carefully dabbing with a Kimwipe should
be okay. Just never ever soak and that applies to just about every
solvent discussed.

Barbara's point about the surface coating is very wise; however, it
might be tough to see whether there is damage to the coating until
the gunk is removed.

Mario

>Mario;
>
>I am going to bet that MEK will dissolve pretty much any of the optical
>cements out there.  The manufacturers put a sealant over the optical
>cements but MEK is pretty harse and probably would remove the sealant.
>
>I use MEK for a couple of aircraft restoration projects and it pretty
>much dissolves everything not epoxy.
>
>tD

Mario M. Moronne, Ph.D.
NanoMed Technologies