CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 2012

From:
"Unruh, Jay" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Feb 2012 12:46:54 -0600

If Zeiss will let you (and if you are laser safety trained), I would get a good power meter and measure the power over time directly at the laser output.  Then do the same between the AOTF output and the fiber (make sure the second order beam is blocked) and then at the objective back aperture (with point scan selected and a long time lapse with long pixel dwell time selected).  That will tell you where the problem is.  If the lasers are the problem, they are probably close to death.  I've only seen that kind of fluctuation when the Ar ion tube gets to really low pressure.  Given the fact that you see the same problem with the HeNe, it is probably an AOTF issue (you could check if the HeNe and Ar ion fluctuations are correlated with multitrack imaging).  I don't know much about the AOTF instability, but your zeiss service person could probably tell you whether it is the actual crystal or the driver.  Fiber issues are unlikely to cause rapid fluctuations unless something is vibrating the fiber and the mount is loose or it has a break in it.  Usually in those cases, the power is way down as well.  Also there shouldn't be a correlation with start time for the fiber.  You could try just gently moving the fiber during imaging and see if there are big changes.

Good Luck!
Jay