CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 2018

From:
Nico Stuurman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jul 2018 10:55:03 -0700

Hi John,

> I've recently acquired an Argolight HM-slide (no commercial interest).
> The instruction manual is a bit light on the procedure to properly
> clean immersion oils from the slide. I'm concerned about breaking the
> glass during cleaning.

I have become a fan of Ultra Clarity.  It is designed for lenses in
glasses, but works very well on all other types of optics.  It
emulsifies oils including some that are difficult to clean with organic
solvents.  It seems to be similar (identical?) to cleaning reagents from
the microscope vendors.

Clean your slide as any other optic.  I have worked with the Arolight
slides only once and may not have noticed, but it did not seem as if
they were especially thin.  Optical tissue (optionally wrapped around a
cotton-tipped wooden stick) with a drop of Ultra Clarity should do the
trick.

Best,

Nico