CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 2019

From:
Mark Cannell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Oct 2019 06:37:02 +0000

Hi George

I'm puzzled as to why you suggest PMTs detectors are non-linear. With proper dynode chain design linearity exists over ~5 orders of magnitude brightness. If the filtering into the A/D converter is too fast for the sampling you could get aliasing effects but that's another story. Photon counting mode is more likely to be non-linear due to pulse pile up at high rates. The intrinsic linearity of PMTs was carefully explored a while ago as they formed the core of all photometry.

Regards Mark