CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

May 1999

From:
John Girkin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 May 1999 16:26:51 +0100
One thought that occurs to me, (also using a 1024 scan head), is that vibration can cause a problem with any optical system. Normally these appear as lines across the image but could show in other forms. We have never traced the exact source of the problem in our lab but when I floated the optical table the images were  significantly improved. The laser we were using at the time was fibre coupled but I have also used a free space beam into the scan head when small displacements can cause significant variations across the image.

These problems will vary depending on your position within the building, the time of day, (traffic can cause significant problems in some buildings), and if other equipment is operating, even in other rooms. One way to help to determine if this is the problem is to tap the table top, causing vibrations, and to see if the images are distorted in the way you are experiencing.

All the best

John Girkin

Dr John M Girkin
Institute of Photonics
University of Strathclyde               Tel 44 (0)141 553 4120
Wolfson Centre                  Fax 44 (0)141 552 1575
Glasgow G4 0NW                  e-mail [log in to unmask]
UK