CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

August 2007

From:
Carol Bayles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Aug 2007 16:24:58 -0400

This is a bit off-topic but it is still about fluorescence.  I have
an SLM-Amico 8000C spectrofluorimeter that has been working well for
many years.  I changed the Xenon lamp recently and with less than 400
hrs (rated 2000 hrs) it has had trouble starting.  then it arced,
with a visible spark.  Even though I had the instrument and the
computer off when this happened, I have since lost communication
between the computer and SLM ("Instrument not responding").   We
tried a new serial card and a different computer with no luck.  now
we think it may be the CPU board in the SLM.  Does anyone know if
there is a source of spare parts for these units?    Has anyone had a
similar problem?  The software runs on DOS and we have Windows 95 on
the computer.
I found the Olis website but they seem to only want to sell expensive
upgrades.  does anyone know if they have spare parts?

Thanks a lot.
Carol
--
Carol Bayles, Manager