CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 1997

From:
Milton Charlton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jul 1997 15:11:37 -0400
Try the Yamaha 400 CDR.  It is the only 4X CDR right now and supports UDF
packet writing.  It should come with a program called Adaptec DirectCD
which allows the CDR to be used more or less like any other device.  You
can finalize the disk as ISO9660 and read it on any CD reader including
Mac I think.  The unfilled disk can be reopened and more data added as
often as necessary but 20-40 Mb are lost each time.  There is no need for
"mastering" the disc beforehand. We run PCs over a network to Sun Unix
server using Hummingbird Maestro NFS software.  We can FTP from any client
in our lab network to the CDR and can also FTP from remote servers to the
CDR.  If you can see the directory, files can be dropped on the CDR.  The
machine containing the CDR runs, in addition to DirectCD, a little server
program from Hummingbird which allows the system to accept data from other
clients and servers by FTP.
The best thing is you get the CD readers almost for free with each new
computer and each worker can use the archives and data at its own PC/MAC.
Finally, making the CD seems really easy with UDF and DirectCD.

We will be trying to get all our users onto this system soon and off WORM
and DAT.

Milton Charlton
UNiversity of Toronto