CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 2024

From:
George McNamara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2024 08:00:22 -0500
To join or leave the confocal microscopy listserv or to change your email address, go to:
https://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=confocalmicroscopy&A=1

Hi Jeremy,

thanks for making this point:

    you need a lot of photons - but an average of 1000 photons still has a standard deviation of around 33 photons(3%), while for 255 photons the standard deviation is 16 (6%) and for 100 will be 10%. Normally users have no idea how many photons are present.

Most of new new confocal microscope users here at JHU SOM are graduate
students or postdocs. Some have no idea what bit depth is or where 255
(2^8 - 1) or 65535 (2^16 - 1) come from (I never spend time on 12-bit
mode on the SP8). Some (when I visit their later sessions) operate in
8-bit mode, even though I stress in training they need to spend the time
to go to the bit depth drop down list and select 16-bit mode. (Leica
makes this worse by having LAS X not re-load all the settings correctly
on the settings configuration file I save for each user for each
fluorophore set).
In principle, understanding image histograms (see start of thread) would
help, but I don't think most users understand "IH's".
Back to 255 ... if the user is in 8-bit mode on the Leica photon
counting mode (or similar now that other vendors have this), while they
are acquiring (post-training, without me to remind them to use 16-bit
mode) they likely have no idea that they "hit saturation" and that
signal might have been 300, 400, 1000, etc if they had operated the
microscope correctly (this sentence reminds me of all the bad and/or
reckless drivers on the roads, at least here in the U.S.).
So, if the user hits 255 in two different channels, and then figures out
how to do image correlations (ImageJ doesn't care how good or bad the
input is), Green=255 and Red=255 will be wonderfully correlated.
Of course researchers do much worse things than bad setting on a
microscope, for examples, see the current DFCI scandal,
https://forbetterscience.com/2024/01/02/dana-farberications-at-harvard-university
... my favorite segment is the WB especially the "? lanes" in Hetz,
though there micrograph, Mn-SOD ~ mtBAX ~ Merge is pretty uninformative
(and lacks scale bar, so N=2 cells art work, not real data)
If you prefer Nature news version (which rehashes the above blog), see
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-024-00202-9

George
p.s. I am a big fan of image histograms, essentially never train any
user on it because they are only interested in acquiring data. The very
rare time a new or experienced user, or their P.I. has asked about image
channels correlations, I (try to not laugh out loud) encourage them to
figure it out. Of course I don;t trust any image correlations in the
listerature (I do like Keremy's papers on C's and other topics).