CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

January 2002

Date:
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 14:46:31 -0500

Syto series stains bind to RNA and DNA - although I am not sure about Syto
59 or 60.  Mol. Probes simply indicates that they stain nucleic acids - so
I would presume that they will stain RNA too.  Do you need a cell-permeant
nucleic acid stain such as the Syto series?  We regularly use 7-AAD for far
red DNA staining with adequate results and one of the benefits of this
stain is that you don't have to RNAse the sample.

At 02:13 PM 1/11/02 -0800, you wrote:
>Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>
>We need to stain whole tissue for DNA and need to do this with a far red dye.
>Do people have experience using toto3, Syto 59 or 60 with
>o  whole tissue with good penetration 2mm+
>o  the 638nm laser line for excitation ?
>
>Thanks.

>Michael Cammer   Analytical Imaging Facility   Albert Einstein Coll. of Med.
>Jack & Pearl Resnick Campus      1300 Morris Park Ave.     Bronx, NY  10461
>(718) 430-2890       Fax:  430-8996      URL:  http://www.aecom.yu.edu/aif/

Derek Schulze
Flow Cytometry and Confocal Microscopy Facility Manager
Cancer Research Labs
Queen's University
Kingston, ON
Canada