CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 1997

Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 1997 08:09:55 +1200
     Hi Colin

     We have used fluorescein to trace water movement in wood on our
     confocal. Toluidine blue also works well. One point to note is that
     fluorescein will not fix in the cell wall so to avoid redistribution
     when doing microscopy, section the material dry and mount in immersion
     oil. One problem is that fluorescein emits in the red while toluidine
     emits in the far red. If you have to use a green emitting dye it may
     be difficult to clearly distinguish the dye from the lignin
     autofluorescence which is also predominantly green. We used the lignin
     autofluorescence to visualise the tracheids and used a second channel
     to overlay the red dye signal.

     Cheers - Lloyd

     Lloyd Donaldson
     NZ Forest Research Institute