CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2005

From:
John Runions <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Nov 2005 19:45:21 +0000

I really shudder to think of the amount of advertising one would have to
wade through to get to the real discussions of confocal microscopy that
a list like this is designed for.  Do you really want to throw the door
open wide to all corporate interests?  My guess is that this would
result in a positive feedback / arms race type of situation in which all
companies would feel that they _had_ to advertise on the list.  Better
to start another list called 'Confocal spam' or something to that effect
if you want to hear about all of the latest products.  If you think that
there hasn't been too much advertising on the list so far, this is
because it has been discouraged.  There are several glossy trade
magazines that are well supported by advertisers, there are trade shows,
and there is the world wide web for reading about new products.  Let us
try to keep the list a relatively commercial-free zone.  John.

Edward Monosov, Ph.D. wrote:

> Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>
> Besides Bob's great clarification of this micro-ethical dilemma, I
> think, advertisings, akin to Steve's, are the fastest highway for the
> discovery  information about new products.
> Maybe, gurus running this noble site will legalize this method of
> introduction for new technology, one time and forever.
>
> Thank  you
>

> Robert Summers wrote:
>
>>Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>>http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal
>>
>>Dear Colleagues,
>>
>>As one of the three founders of the Confocal Listserv discussion group in
>>1988, we intended to allow and encourage commercial interests to help us
>>with common problems by participating fully in our list.  Such
>>communications were deemed OK as long as the person or entity was defined
>>as a commercial interest either in the heading or signature of the
>>message. In fact, we also ENCOURAGED manufacturers to alert us to a new
>>product using the list, so long as the message was brief, factual and not
>>critical of other products. The issue has been discussed REPEATEDLY by
>>newcomers to the list and the decision has always been to allow commercial
>>interests to participate but to not allow BLATANT ADVERTISEMENT of
>>products. We have had no problem with this.
>>
>>Best Regards!
>>
>>Robert G. "Bob" Summers, Ph.D.
>>Professor Emeritus, SUNY Buffalo
>>

>--
>Edward Monosov, Ph.D.
>Director , Cell Imaging & Histology
>The Burnham Institute
>10901 N. Torrey Pines Rd,
>La Jolla, CA 92037
>Ph:    (858)646-3100 ext. 3206
>Fax: (858)646-3196

C. John Runions, Ph.D.
School of Biological and Molecular Sciences
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford, UK
OX3 0BP

email: [log in to unmask]