CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 2002

From:
alice schmid <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 3 Oct 2002 08:56:54 -0700

Dear Scott and the List,

     I bet it's nailpolish---somebody got a little
anxious and didn't wait for their seals to dry.  Still
there usually isn't all that much on a slide, so I
imagine "covered" might be a little strong.

     At any rate, nail polish remover is xylene.  I
think with Zeiss this wouldn't be too horrible a
problem, but am not sure about Nikon.  So I would call
your Nikon rep and find out just how sturdy the
chemical coatings on your lense are.

      But I am about to wreck havoc here with imaging
heresy and will probably be barred forever from using
common equipment.....   BUT.  Personally, I do ALL of
the things they tell you NOT to do.  I wipe goop off
with Kimwipes, I use chloroform to clean immersion oil
off of inverted 100X objectives, and I have been known
to drip acetone on objectives as well (I microinject
and use the acetone to clean needles).  And even
though I have put some valiant effort into the
ridiculous purple sparkle stuff they tell you is the
miracle cleaner, I have never found it up to the task
of removing type B immersion oil.  (I only do
heretical things on MY equipment--never on shared
equipment.  Randy).

But you know what?  None of the horrible things they
warn you about has ever happened to me!  I have never
had a lense cloud up, unuseable because I cleaned it
with solvents.  I have never had a lense become
scratched because I let it come in contact with cotton
fibers or for any other reason, really.  I routinely
clean oil immersion lenses under a dissecting scope
with ethanol and other solvents, and really, I am
completely sanguine.

So if it were me?  I'd go to Walgreens and buy some
nail polish remover, and very gently clean the lens
under a dissecting scope, with kimwipes and lense
paper and cotton-tipped applicators, after I called
Nikon first of course.  But it wouldn't surprise me to
hear them say, "Oh god, you're going to have to buy a
brand new lens! Ka-ching" in which case you'd have
nothing to lose anyway......

                                Alice Schmid