CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

September 2008

From:
Johan Henriksson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Sep 2008 21:58:00 +0200
Martin Spitaler wrote:
> Dear Christophe,
>
>   you got a lot of replies already, just a few details that are still missing:
>
> - WinXP-64 in combination with 16GB RAM really makes the difference between
> work and crash if you open seriously large image files, and it even helps
> with software that doesn't actually support it (because then Windows puts
> the page file in the memory beyond 3GB instead of the harddrive, which is
> obviously much faster). But be aware, some software simply doesn't run on
> WindXP-64, e.g. ironically the Leica confocal software and Zeiss ZEN (the
> old LSM software works fine!!).

here I need to add that if your software indeed does load that many
images into the memory
you should look for something better. by doing so you will have a severe
I/O bottleneck;
make sure data is loaded partially by the software. only time you need
that much memory is
when you actually have that much *modified* data in memory or as a cache
for a really
high-performance image store server. any other valid cases are exotic.

/Johan