CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 2009

From:
Seitz Arne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Oct 2009 11:39:25 +0200
Dear Martin,

we are currently hosting/testing the Fluoview FV10i (oil variant) in our facility.
I really like the concept and the hardware of the instrument. Unfortunately I have to say that I'm not very convinced of the software that comes with the system. Just to give you an example I really don't understand why Nyquist sampling is considered to be optimal (Button for optimal imaging conditions) in the z-direction but not in the xy-plane. Especially in a facility I find this more confusing than helpful. I also have to impression that there are artificial software brakes so that the potential of the hardware cannot be fully used.

The oil variant cannot be heated thus it is not suitable for live cell imaging.

Just my two pence.

Cheers Arne

Dr. Arne Seitz
Head of Bioimaging and Optics Platform (BIOP)
Swiss Institute of Technology (EPFL)
Faculty of Life Sciences
Station 15
CH-1015 Lausanne