CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 2007

From:
"Vergara, Leoncio A." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jun 2007 17:03:28 -0500

Thanks for all the answers I got in and out of the list. This afternoon
I was contacted by the sales manager for the meta-imaging systems who
assured me that all my worries about the future of Metamorph were
absolutely unjustified. I am relieved to know I was mistaken and that I
will be able to continue using Metamorph for our work. The reason I did
not get an answer until now was that my particular request required his
personal attention and he was very busy.
My posting may have been premature and unjustified, however I was
motivated by the urgency to get someone to confirm me that the software
will continue being supported and developed. I would hate to see a
program of such high quality and productivity like Metamorph to
disappear. Our hardware components will start arriving soon and we need
a software solution with urgency. I am just not ready to start investing
money (in short supply) to switch to another commercial solution or to
invest time (also in short supply) learning the open source alternatives
like Image J and Micro-manager. However after this contingency, I have
learned that it may be wise to start looking into those solutions
anyway.
I apologize for any inconveniences I may have caused.

Leoncio

Leoncio A. Vergara MD
Assistant Professor
Laboratory of Protein Misfolding Diseases (lab-PMD),
George and Cynthia Mitchell Center for Neurodegenerative Diseases
Research.
Director of the Optical Imaging Lab. (OIL),
Dept. of Neuroscience and Cell Biology
University of Texas Medical Branch (UTMB)
301 University Blvd
Galveston, Texas 77555-0641
OIL phone: 409-772-3970
Lab-PMD phone: 409-7470019