CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 1998

From:
"Jose' A. Feijo'" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Nov 1998 12:56:08 +0000
About a year ago Steve Potter made an excelent review of the multiphoton
conference. I was wondering if any such event took place this year, and if
there are significant advances one should be aware of for a possible future
purchase. I've highlighted a few points that still float on my mind from
Steve's comments:

(...)
>1024, and for that reason is more complicated than a pure
>multiphoton system needs to be, but they believe people are
>not ready to abandon their confocals yet.  Well I, for one,
>am ready!

This is a point I would really like to know more, namely:

1. Are there any 2-photon "only" systems on the market? My impression is
that only Bio-Rad and Leica sell them, but integrated in their base
confocal layout.

2. Also regarding these two brands, does any one have information on the
direct comparison between the Bio-rad fsec and the Leica psec excitation
modes? Both vendors provide absolute pro's of their choice, but it's hard
to see how things compare in pratice.

>detection.  BioRad says their NDS detector is in the works.

3. are there any progress on this? How critical is this change?

>(...) Coherent's Verdi, a 5W green solid-
>(...) Spectra Physics offers the Millenia (similar if
>not identical specs to Coherent's Verdi) and their Tsunami
>Ti:sapph.  They also recently announced a 10W Millenia,
>although I don't know if that is shipping yet.

Well they're both on the market now, and I was wondering if there's more to
be know from:

4. Direct comparison between Millenia/Tsunami vs. Mira/Verdi
5. Direct comparison between 5 and 10W Millenia

I'm sure there's is more, but I'll wait for more input from others.
Many thanks for any input
Jose

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
o                                                     o
o Jose' A. Feijo', Prof.                                      o
o                                                     o
o Dep. Biologia Vegetal, Fac.Ciencias Univ. Lisboa    o
o Campo Grande, Ed.C2, P-1700 LISBOA, PORTUGAL        o
o                                                     o
o tel. +351.1.7500069, fax +351.1.7500048             o
o e.mail: [log in to unmask]                         o
o URL: www.fc.ul.pt/departs/biologia_vegetal/ejf.html o