CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

January 2023

From:
"Model, Michael" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Jan 2023 15:36:49 +0000
To join or leave the confocal microscopy listserv or to change your email address, go to:
https://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=confocalmicroscopy&A=1

Happy New Year, Alby and All!

My general take on sample preparation: whatever we do to study live cells (not talking about fixation artifacts), affects them in some ways. To begin with, putting them on a flat glass is already a big deviation from their natural environment. But they manage to grow on a glass coverslip in an artificial solution or to withstand modification of proteins or tolerate many other abuses. Perhaps what we are often investigating are the possibilities of life rather than cells' natural morphology or their behavior in the organism. And we tend to be satisfied as long as we get an overall consistent picture of things.

More specifically to your labeling example. An increase in molecular size (if that's your concern), may have an effect. First, the overall mass/volume concentration of large molecules ("macromolecular crowding") seems to be a very important and highly conserved quantity. All eukaryotic cells have macromolecular density close to 0.2 g/ml in the cytosol (higher in some organelles); if the density increases, cells die by apoptosis; and if it decreases, I am not sure at this time what happens then (it's actually quite difficult to keep cells in a diluted state for a long time). But if you are only labeling one single type of protein, the overall crowding will not be greatly affected, but the mobility or the biological activity of that protein can very well suffer of course.

But your assumption that all nuclear proteins become bigger while the nuclear volume stays the same (if I understood you correctly) may not be realistic. As cells synthesize more protein material, they accumulate water and ions and just grow. If you start stuffing them with more or larger proteins, that will disrupt the osmotic balance and, since the membranes are permeant to water, everything will readjust.

Mike