CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2015

Date:
Wed, 4 Mar 2015 12:51:16 -0600

Hello Everyone,

The Harvard NeuroDiscovery Center Enhanced Neuroimaging Core will host its
first “Spring Virtual Microscopy Workshop” this month.

the detailed workshop information is below. I think people in the greater
Boston area may be interested.

the workshop is free, but requires RSVP.

Best
Lai

This workshop focuses on several most basic and popular topics in optical
imaging technology, including resolution limit, super-resolution, confocal
imaging and digital image processing.

Optical imaging is a very “hands-on” practice.  Such “hands-on” requirement
greatly limits the capacity of workshops in this area. To overcome this
problem, the HNDC Enhanced Neuroimaging Core introduces its first “Spring
Virtual Microscopy Workshop”. Using remote control on multiple imaging
systems in our core, we can live demo the actual imaging process in the
classroom along with presentation to explain imaging principles. We call it
“eyes-on” practice, which can provide an interactive microscope imaging
environmental to a large number of participants.

This workshop features a mixture of theories, practical guidelines, imaging
tips and interesting historical stories. Whether you are new to optical
imaging or already have experiences, you may find this workshop helpful in
enhancing and expanding your knowledge on optical imaging technology.

This workshop is free, but requires registration. Please RVSP to Lai Ding

Detailed workshop information is below.

Instructor:  Dr. Lai Ding, Enhanced Neuroimaging Core.
Location:  HMS Quad Goldenson building 122 (all dates)
Time:  10AM – 12PM (all dates)

 Part I    March 11th     “Resolution: know the limit and how to achieve it”

Introduce the Abbe limit formula
Understand why there is a resolution limit
Discuss how to achieve the best resolution
Live demo on the difference between point scan and CCD based imaging systems

  Part II   March 18th     “Super-resolution: a Case Study on STED”

Introduce the idea and approach for “super-resolution”
Know the advantage and limitation of super-resolution systems.
Live demo on advantage of the STED 3X system over standard confocal system.

  Part III   March 25th     “Principles of Confocal Microscopy”

Introduce principles of confocal and multiphoton imaging.
Understand how a modern confocal system works.
Live demo on point scan confocal, spinning disk confocal and multiphoton
system.
Live demo on the different image formation between point scan and CCD based
imaging systems

Part IV   March 26th     “Practical Guidelines for Acquiring a Confocal
          Image”

Live demo on guidelines for acquiring better confocal images.
Topic covers laser setting, detector adjustment, image format, averaging
methods, avoiding crosstalk …

   Part V   April 2nd         “Introduction to Digital Image Processing”

Introduce basics on digital image processing and ethics rules.