CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

December 2008

From:
Holly Aaron <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 29 Dec 2008 11:05:43 -0800
Hi, Esteban - Echoing Steve's and others' comments, I would strongly advise
you to NOT send your scanhead back to Germany for an IR to UV change. It
will be costly and you will be without your scanhead AND microscope during
that time. At least, that's how we had to do it. We did not swap an IR for a
UV, but added 2 VIS lasers and this required considerable time (and $$) in
Germany.  Zeiss considers the 405 diode to be a UV source, so it would
definitely require a factory round-trip. Of course, it is possible if that
is really what you want to do.

Can you ask Coherent for an estimated price for service visit and
replacement of diodes? Usually the only thing that can really go wrong on
these lasers is the end of life on the diodes, or maybe some cleaning if you
have really dusty labs like we have here. Also, the IR laser may be used
primarily for DAPI now, but in the future has more potential uses...  I
would repair it.

I'd be happy to listen to the symptoms of your laser and take a guess at the
cause, if you want. I am sure the rest of the list could give you some good
ideas on what is ailing, too.

Best for 2009,
-Holly

Holly L. Aaron
CRL Molecular Imaging Center

The 6th Annual Advanced Imaging Methods Workshop is This January! Click the
link below for more info:
http://guest.cvent.com/EVENTS/Info/Summary.aspx?i=efa9c51b-9eba-4da5-a7e9-cd
0253f52cd3