CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

December 2003

From:
Fay Hansen-Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Dec 2003 11:01:56 -0500

There is a significant difference between an individual PI's instrument
and a "core" type of instrument which may have been purchased with joint
institutional/grant funds.  If this is your "bread and butter" (which I
can identify with...), and you own it,  then you need to be very careful.

 I recommend
a.)  using the standard fees, maybe a little
extra for after hours, but also, a
written agreement to contribute  toward maintenance/service contract and
laser replacement over and above the fees, since your fees are extremely
reasonable.  Your time and the free use of your lab is worth something,
and you are taking a risk by letting others use it.

. b.)  letting only the most "tried and true" hands go after
hours (as recommended by others)

c.)  I would far rather pay someone who is "tried and true" to work longer
(or get a fee break) for the after hours than leave it up to a "cheap
undergrad"----the latter is a bad idea.  I have many undergrads who use
mine, and they are allowed to do so after hours, but I wouldn't put them
in the position of decision/making or trouble-shooting anything.....

Fay M. Hansen, Associate Professor
Dept. Biological Sciences
Oakland University
Rochester, MI 48309-4401