CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2010

From:
"Ignatius, Mike" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 2010 14:30:28 -0400
Dr. Teresa,

The most likely issue is the thickness of the mountant.  We place our beads on a glass slide, then overlay with mountant and a 1.5 coverslip (160 to 190 microns thick).  If you have a high mag objective with short working distance (WD) and no correction collar, you indeed may not be able to focus deeply enough to see them.  There is a wonderful tutorial on this by Dr. Davidson at http://www.microscopyu.com/tutorials/java/aberrations/correctioncollar/

One quick check is to image them at lower magnification - if you can see them, the mountant thickness and short WD are the most likely culprits.  (There can also be some variation to coverslip thickness.) Many of the newer objectives have improved WDs at high magnification and numerical aperture and come with correction collars (at a price though).

We are instituting QC and manufacturing controls to prevent our contribution to this issue going forward.  You may want to consider buying and mounting the desired stand alone beads directly onto a coverslip for the immediate future (cheaper than a new objective!).  We will of course refund your money for the prepared slides if we are unable to resolve the issue with your current equipment.

Kind Regards,

Mike Ignatius

Product Development Manager
Molecular Probes/LifeTechnologies