CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 1997

From:
Arthur Schuessler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Feb 1997 17:07:25 +0100
>        Another non-related question: I have just used DiOC18 to stain
>membranes. Since it has a long alkyl chain, I was expecting it to stain well
>the plasma membrane and may be, to some extent, intracellular membrane
>systems like endoplasmic reticulum. However, the latter was amazingly well
>stained. I am not disappointed by this at all, because it turned out to be a
>beautiful prep, but it was not what I had expected. Any explanations for
>this? Could anyone tell me his favorite way to use the dye? (it could be a
>preparation problem).

DiOC is an ER stain, it's not a problem of preparation I think. I'm not sure
if there is known anything new about the mode of DIOC staining. Some time
ago it has been under debate. (Anybody knows something?)
DIOC also stains the Dictyosomes of some organisms. I've no references here,
but one could search e.g. for Quader, H. or Schnepf, E. to find some
references about DIOC staining of plant ER.
Arthur

Dr. Arthur Schuessler
University of Heidelberg
Zellenlehre