CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2008

From:
Ella Tour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Mar 2008 11:30:56 -0700

Hi Patrick,

I agree that multiple tests need to be done in order to establish
that protein localization is preserved during the various treatments.
Your point about the need for RNA as a structural element: since I am
working with relatively small probes against enhancers, which seem
not to have a lot of transcription units in them, I've been doing DNA
FISH/protein stain combo with or without the RNAse treatment. I don't
see dramatic changes in protein distribution with or without the
RNAse treatment. However, this is on a very gross level, I agree that
it is possible that some foci might change their location relatively
to other nuclear structures or genes.
Same for the treatment with formamide: I don't see gross changes in
protein distribution in my DNA/protein combo versus just protein
immunodetection, but then again, the changes might be subtle.

One control I am trying to get to work right now is taking a
well-identified transcription factor - regulatory sequence system,
where the localization of the TF to its target sequence has been
shown in vivo, and seeing that this localization can be detected via
IF in my system. An example of such is Lac Repressor (LacI)-GFP
fusion and its target sequence, multiple copies of Lac Operon sites
(LacO). The visualization of LacI-GFP on LacO repeats has been
described in a number of papers (for example, Vazquez et al (2006)
Mol Bio Cell, where the clustering of LacI-GFP molecules on 64 LacO
sites was very nicely shown).  I assume that, since Alexa fluors are
brighter than GFP, I should be able to detect clustering of LacI-GFP
on at least 64 LacO sites? I'd appreciate some feedback on this one
from people who have experience with GFP detection in vivo and via IF
.

Thank you,

Ella

--

Ella Tour
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, 0349