CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

January 2019

Date:
Thu, 17 Jan 2019 10:45:19 -0800

Hi Josh,
The $1000 service charge is more or less like a flat fee. In my past life
as a postdoc, we had a similar problem in our group where we had 2 Andor
EMCCD cameras that lost its vacuum just past the 5 year warranty period and
we ended up paying about $2k to fix each camera. We were also charged a
$1000 initial assessment fee which was credited towards the cost of fixing
the vacuum seal when we decided to repair the camera (it was cheaper to fix
an EMCCD camera than to buy two new ones).

On a related note, I recently (early 2018) had a similar condensation
problem with an ORCA Flash 4 LTE . In my case, the camera was 3 years old
and I did not have any extended warranty. Moreover it was not a direct
purchase from Hamamatsu (it was bought through Zeiss as part of a
microscope purchase). Hamamatsu said that they have lifetime warranty on
their seal and I got a brand new replacement free of charge. I only had to
pay shipping for the old camera, There was no mention about backfill (not
sure if it applies to the ORCA Flash).

Hope this helps.

Sripad