CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

May 1999

From:
Peter Guthrie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 May 1999 01:05:29 -0600
>Dear Group
>First - thank you all for your input to my recent spate of questions.
>
>What I'm wondering now is what is resonable to expect from the imaging
>aquisition and processing software that costs in the thousands of dollars.
>Specifically, with the package we have (Northern Eclipse from Empix Imaging)
>there's no undo feature.  Not even a one step undo. You have to go back to
>your last saved image and hopefully you remembered to duplicate your image
>before you started working on it to begin with.  Is this typical with
>other programs or do other programs offer something equivalent to the
>'history' function on Adobe Photoshop or do they at least generally offer
>the option of undoing at least your last step?
>

>Additonal question:  Can anyone who uses IPLab for a Mac give me some feedback
>on it?
>
>thanks,
>ingrid
>
>Ingrid C. Northwood, Ph.D.
>Coordinator, Teaching and Research Services
>Institute of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry
>Simon Fraser University
>Burnaby, BC, V4X 2P4  Canada
>(phone) (604) 291-4090
>(fax) (604) 291-5583
>email: [log in to unmask]

I've been using IPLab on a Mac for several years.  To preface any comments,
I must say that I have been using nih-image for >15 years (learned some of
my programming skills from Wayne), and have been involved in the
development of both commercial and private image processing software. We
purchased IPLab 4 years ago to run VayTech deconvolution software, and have
since found it adequate for general image processing applications.  It is
relatively powerful and flexible (the scripting options are generally
useful).  I have been disappointed in some of the missing features (e.g. no
undo function, very limited text-handling options in scripts).  I would
like to interface it with our Marzhauser computer-driven stages, but have
to write my own drivers for bi-directional serial communication.  On the
other hand, they sell drivers for other motorized stages.  Consider the
precise operations you want to do, and determine if IPLab will do those.
If so, then consider it (although be aware that there have been very
limited upgrades in the past 4 years, so don't expect it, in the future, to
do things it now can not).  If not, then look elsewhere.

Disclaimer: no commercial interest in IPLab (if I did, I would be much more
positive, wouldn't I).

Peter Guthrie
Department of Neurobiology & Anatomy
University of Utah School of Medicine