CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

December 1999

From:
Greg Joss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 09:47:59 +1100
on 13/12/99 8:40 PM, Martyn Mahaut-Smith at [log in to unmask] wrote:

> Greg,
> I am in the market for a high speed camera for Ca work: so am interested in
> your email: what sort of camera do you and your colleague use for high speed
> imaging?
>
> Martyn
>
> Dr Martyn Mahaut-Smith
> British Heart Foundation Science Lecturer
> Department of Physiology
> University of Cambridge
> Downing Street
> Cambridge
> CB2 3EG
>
> Tel: 01223 333863

Martyn,
The equipment is in Berlin with Peter (see above). I am only involved with
analysis of image sequences so if you need further detail, you could contact
Peter. The system is a Noran Oddessy CLSM (Confocal laser scanning
microscope). There is no camera as such. It uses a photomultiplier to detect
light from the scanning laser beam. The image is constructed from the time
response of the photomultiplier combined with electronic control of
positioning of the scanning beam. The scan output is configurable in a
number of modes including an NTSC video signal with four subframes of
612x120 pixels builtin to the standard video format 640x480. These video
frames at 30 frames per second allow 30x4=120x 612x120 subframes to be
captured by a video frame grabber in the workstation or in a Mac G3 which we
added.
--
Greg Joss,
Department of Biological Sciences, Phone: (61)(2) 9850 8212 Fax: 9850 8174