CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

December 2000

From:
Jose Feijo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 2000 11:15:05 +0000
In pollen tubes, SNARF-AM is taken by vacuole/endomembrane system in a matter of less than 5 min. I tend to think that most AM probes will behave likewise, and this is specially evident when you use 2P which produces better optical sectioning than confocal. I tend to think that results better than this are based on less stringent optical sectioning which fails to reveal all the small vesicles loaded, thus misleading observers that interpret the signal as cytosolic (as we were doing before...). The BIG vacuole may in fact take a bit more time to observe the acumulation of the dyes (less than hour, though).
I don't think there is much alternative to DEXTRAN-linked dyes for active growing plant cells.
My two cents.
Jose