CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

September 2012

From:
Mark Cannell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Sep 2012 09:48:09 +0100

Why do you think there is a population inversion? In my opinion, this seems rather unlikely given the spill of the depletion beam to the centre and that saturation effects in the excitation beam should reduce resolution -so ground state depletion should be avoided.

I think this introduction of the term 'laser" to the discussion of STED is neither correct nor warranted. Just because there is stimulated emission, this does not imply lasing.  I suggest there is no lasing in the excited volume as the fraction of exited molecules is <0.5. -i.e. there is no population inversion. Of course, it would be possible to achieve this but it would not be desirable.

My 2c

Cheers Mark

On 2/09/2012, at 10:13 PM, "Chen, De (NIH/NCI) [C]" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi Peng:
>
> For the two energy levels related to STED depletion, there is population inversion exists. So this kind of lasing is best termed the amplified spontaneous emission.
>
> De

Mark  B. Cannell Ph.D. FRSNZ
Professor of Cardiac Cell Biology
School of Physiology&  Pharmacology