CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 1994

From:
Paul Goodwin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Nov 1994 13:05:32 -0800
Judy, et al.;

We are moving toward CD-R (recordable CD-ROM) for the following reasons:

1) Cheap media (<$13/600 MB Disk)
2) Cheap Recorder (~$2100 for Pinnacles)
3) Very Cheap Reader (~$200/reader for a 2X speed CD-Rom Drive)
4) Every bit as reliable, if not more so, than EOD or floptical.

We've reached this conclusion after years of using Erasable Optical. The
problem is that each reader is very expensive. With most PC coming with
CD-ROM it seems to make good sense. Not it is not erasable, but we really
don't erase that much. The media is alot cheaper. They are multi-session
so we can write to the disk several times. We stack up chunks of data
(~100 MB) and record a session.

Let me know if you want more details.

Paul Goodwin
Image Analysis Lab