CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

December 2002

From:
David Knecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 11:12:55 -0500

I am getting more confused the more I think about this.    If you use a
lower NA lens, you get a larger excitation spot in X,Y and Z, but
presumably a symmetric increase,  and you have the same NA for emission
so you collect a lower resolution (larger) voxel worth of fluorescent
light at each point in the scan and need to open the pinhole to collect
it all.  If you underfill a high NA lens, you create a lower NA
excitation spot, but you collect the fluorescence at full NA of the
objective.  I am still unclear about the implications of this last
point but it seems important and I had never thought about it.  Also,
presumably, these two methods of decreasing NA are going to give you
different results.  Does the excitation spot profile increase equally
in X, Y and Z if you underfill the objective?   I had the impression
that it increased in Z but not as much in X, Y. My mental analogy was
sending an infinitely thin laser beam straight through the objective
which would presumably emit the same thin beam. That would mean you
would lose axial resolution but not so much lateral.  If the effect is
non-uniform, then the "airy disk" becomes asymmetric and now closing
the pinhole presumably has complex effects on X-Y vs Z resolution. Dave

Dr. David Knecht
U-125
75 N. Eagleville Rd.
University of Connecticut