CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 2012

From:
George McNamara <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 4 Jun 2012 21:01:42 -0400

Hi Doug,

If you or anyone else would like to buy an HCS confocal microscope,
please buy our BD Pathway 855 HCS !!!  Reference for UM's use of the
Pathway:

*Cabrera* O, Jacques-Silva MC, Berman DM, Fachado A, Echeverri F, Poo R,
Khan A, Kenyon NS, Ricordi C, Berggren PO, *Caicedo* A. Automated,
high-throughput assays for evaluation of human pancreatic islet
function. </pubmed/18351020> Cell Transplant. 2008;16(10):1039-48. PMID:
18351020.

Uses a CARV spinning disk confocal attachment (can slide or out of light
path), has 2 Hg arc lamps, can do Fura-2 350/380 nm excitation ratioing,
ORCA-ER camera - and can look by eyepiece in each of widefield and
confocal modes. Has been off service contract for a year. We can even
add in a somewhat disassembled CARV-1 unit (set up for a Zeiss Axiovert
200M) at no extra charge. For that matter, if the price is right, the
buyer is also welcome to our Zeiss LSM510 scanhead, electronics, lasers,
more (I am turning its ex-LSM's Axiovert 200M into a widefield system,
but could ship that too if the price is right).

GE InCell 6000 - This illuminates one line at a time (presumably
resolution limited by the objective lens?) and detection is user
selectable number of pixels across the line, using the rolling shutter
mode of a 5.5 megapixel sCMOS. They refer to it as acting as a 'virtual
detection slit' (my phrase - you can check GE marketing for the exact
phrase). I suggest that anything other than a physical slit (line
equivalent of a pinhole) means this is not really a confocal microscope.
Could still be quite useful.

With respect to your original question ... if the instrument loading and
unloading is easy, and the software is easy to use and/or you have
brilliant users who can easily learn and deal with any software, sure. I
am going to guess the price of the InCell 6000 is in the $500K-$800K
price range (depending on lasers, service contract, profit margin, etc)
... and its annual service contract price is probably 10% of purchase
price. So, are you really going to be able to make back the service
contract price if you have someone count DAPI+ thingies a couple of
times a day?  If you are going to spend the money on an HCS system, best
to have enough expected utilization for HCS screens to pay for at least
the service contract.

Sincerely,

George
University of Miami