CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 1997

From:
Brian Tryon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Feb 1997 06:21:56 -0400
Hi Folks,

I'm searching for a 3-D analysis software program that will assist me
beyond the 3-D reconstructions and volume measurements (like VoxBlast) but
can also do something like the following:

I have reconstructed serial sections of neural tissue which contain tissue
transplants.

1. Since I can identify the voxels which represent transplant tissue and
differentiate them from host tissue. I want to know what percent of the
surface of the transplant tissue is in direct contact with the host tissue,
and what percent is adjacent to cysts. I know I can get this info through a
more manual process of extracting the 2.5D surfaces of particular regions
but is there a program which already incorporates this capability?

2. Next, since I can differentiate between host and transplant, I want to
generate a 3-D image showing both the host and tranplant tissue (uniquely
colored) and for regions where the host and transplant are in close
proximity (a distance defined by me) I want this boundary to automatically
be assigned a particular color to identify these regions. The former can
easily be done but the latter requires me to do it manually at this point.

3. Next, I can immuno-label regions of the host tissue and I want to
generate a 3-D image which specifically highlights this region (I know
VoxBlast and others can do this) BUT I want this region to be color coded
based on it's thickness. So, imagine if you imaged a sphere in 3-D with
the surface color reflecting the depth of the skin of the sphere. Is this
possible?

4. Lastly, I want to do something I call "segment analysis" and let's go
back to the sphere example. If you put a reference point in the center of
this sphere upon which intersect X, Y, and Z planes thus dividing the
sphere into 8 segments. I then want to quantify each of these segments for
voxels in a range I specify and perhaps generate a 3-D model showing the
segments color-coded according to the number of identified voxels in each
segment.

thanks for any input!

Brian C. Tryon
MD/PhD Student
Dept. of Neurobiology & Anatomy
Allegheny University Hospitals, EPPI Campus
3200 Henry Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19129
USA

Lab: (215) 842-4635, -4618
Fax: (215) 843-9082

E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Webpage: http://ussneurobio.allegheny.edu/tryonweb/tryon.html

"The price of accuracy is continued vigilance. Instability is the ultimate
evil!"
                - by O. Tretiak during a neuroimaging symposium at Drexel