CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

December 2003

From:
Judy Trogadis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Dec 2003 09:23:06 -0500

One brand name of PVA is Mowiol, and here is my recipe - actually from Harlow & Lane Antibody book. I prepare 3-4x the amount because I aliquot into small vials (1-2ml) which will last many months at -20deg.
Judy

Mowiol recipe
Add 2.4g Mowiol (Mowiol 4-88, Calbiochem #475904) to 6 gm of glycerol. Stir to mix.
Add 6ml water and leave for several hours (overnight) at room temperature.
Add 12ml of 0.2M PBS and heat to 50°C for 10 minutes with occasional stirring * use slow speed hot/stir plate or water bath.
After Mowiol disolves, clarify by centrifugation at 5000g for 15 mins.
For fluorescence detection, add 1,4-diazobicyclo-[2,2,2]-octane (DABCO, Sigma) to 2.5% as anti bleaching agent.
Aliquot in airtight tubes and store at -20°C Stocks are stable at 4°C for several weeks after thawing.
Add small drop of the mounting medium to the specimen (for 36mmx22mm coverslip, add ~45mm) carefully to avoid air bubble formation. Remove excess with tissue.
After mounting, leave slides at room temperature for an hour for polymerization of mowiol, then store at 4°C, in the dark.
Avoid polymerization  in humid environment - for example where slides were incubated because mowiol will never harden.

Judy Trogadis
Bio-Imaging Coordinator
St. Michael's Hospital, 7Queen
30 Bond St.
Toronto, ON M5B 1W8
Canada
ph:  416-864-6060  x6337
pager: 416-685-9219
fax: 416-864-6043

>>> Krishanu Ray <[log in to unmask]> 12/2/2003 6:40:44 AM >>>

Hi ALL,

We were using vectashield for mounting our samples but off late noticed that
it causes fading of our staining. One of my friend suggested I should use a
mixture of DABCO and PVA for bettern result. Does any one have a protocol
for makaing such a mounting media?

We will be really greatful if one of you could help us.

thanks in advance,

krishanu.
Dr. Krishanu Ray
Department of Biological Sciences