CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

January 2007

From:
Tom Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 2007 17:22:24 -0600

20+ years ago I tried a fluorocarbon solution to increase the oxygenation
to intestinal biopsies. I do think the morphology and physiologically
responsiveness was slightly better but it got expensive. The stuff we had
was milky white so not sure how good it would have been imaging via confocal.

  At 04:02 PM 01/24/07, you wrote:
>Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>
>Rosemary White wrote:
>
>>On a related (but perhaps weirder) thread, has anyone ever used any sort of
>>highly oxygenated liquid to mount cells or tissues?  I remember a few years
>>ago some fanfare about "drowning" mice in a liquid like this, and they
>>survived some time because their lungs were supplied with oxygen from the
>>liquid/gel.  I wondered if it could be used, even for a short time, instead
>>of the various flow chambers needed to keep tissues oxygenated.
>>(Ed Harris inhaled such a liquid to do a deep dive in The Abyss.)
>>I've hunted the literature (not very thoroughly) for a reference to it, and
>>failed.  Perhaps it doesn't maintain a constant oxygen supply, so tissues
>>get overloaded when they are first immersed, then are oxygen-deficient later
>>on - so no advantage.
>>Any clues, or comments positive or otherwise, would be useful.
>
>Try searching under "fluorocarbon" and "blood substitute"--I think that
>may be what you're looking for.  Here's a link to info on one such
>substance:
>http://www.buffalo.edu/UBT/UBT-archives/27_ubtf04/features/features_2.html
>
>Good luck!
>
>Martin Wessendorf
>--
>Martin Wessendorf, Ph.D.                   office: (612) 626-0145
>Assoc Prof, Dept Neuroscience                 lab: (612) 624-2991
>University of Minnesota             Preferred FAX: (612) 624-8118
>6-145 Jackson Hall, 321 Church St. SE    Dept Fax: (612) 626-5009
>Minneapolis, MN  55455             E-mail: martinw[at]med.umn.edu

Thomas E. Phillips, PhD
Professor of Biological Sciences
Director, Molecular Cytology Core
2 Tucker Hall