CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 2012

From:
Andrew Dennis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jun 2012 09:20:25 +0000

Hi David, Prabhakar, Julio,
I work at Andor and can explain what's going on here. The Andor/PCO version of the Sensor is a 5.5MP sensor, and the Hamamatsu sensor is 4MP (they don't limit the number of useable pixels or use a mask). In addition to the number of pixels, these sensors differ in only one way...

The Andor version has a 5 transistor pixel design (5T design), this permits both Rolling shutter* readout mode (a fast, but transient mode of readout) and Global Shutter* readout (AKA snapshot or interline mode).

The 4MP sensor has one less transistor on each pixel (4T design), the result is two fold, 1.) there is a positive effect, an increase in QE (due to lack of the transistor circuit on the sensor pixel). And 2.) there is a negative impact, this sensor variant is limited to rolling shutter readout (transient readout only), so this variant does not permit global shutter /Snapshot mode.

The 'Gen II' label used to describe the 4MP/4T variant is just a label, the pixel design is identical, with the exception of the missing transistor.

In addition to appreciating the various modes of sCMOS readout the QE must always be considered in context of noise. As David comments CMOS sensors suffer from hot pixels, (more than CCDs), and there is a different distribution of noise across CMOS pixels compared with CCD. As you cool the sensor many of the hot pixels are "fixed" so less need to be corrected, the colder it is, the more pixels are corrected. If you have any further questions please feel free to ask me directly or through the listserv.

Andrew

*Brief explanation of Global and Rolling shutter:
Global Shutter: the photoelectrons in each pixel are simultaneously moved into readout circuitry, where they are measured. This is a traditional shapshot acquisition and is very analogous to an Interline sensor readout.