CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

September 2011

Date:
Fri, 9 Sep 2011 23:58:21 +1000

Dmitry,

  		This list is not about imaging faces, it is about confocal microscopy.  We have one criterion only, the Rayleigh resolution.  I advise students to, where possible, acquire images with 3 pixels within the Rayleigh resolution of their objective.  This is slight oversampling, but it is justified for two reasons: (1) it makes details at the resolution limit easier to see, and (2) it allows for mild (VERY mild) filtering to remove noise without affecting resolution.  Any further oversampling just bleaches the specimen without giving any further information.  So now we have acquired our data.  We are scientists, not photographers, so now we have two things to do, ANALYSE our data (which can involve a whole string of operations) and PRESENT our data.  In the presentation phase we cannot expect a journal to magically give its readers the value of each pixel on the printed page - the image is printed with a halftone screen, for a start, and also it will have a particular gamma so that the original data is not reproduced linearly (actually your computer screen doesn't have a linear gamma either, though high-end imaging programs will allow to adjust this).

		If we print a 35mm negative for publication, we'll enlarge it to 3" wide for a 1-column image or 7" wide for a full-page presentation.  We'll also pick a grade of paper which gives the correct contrast for the purpose.  Working with digital images we should do exactly the same.  This is not changing the data (which I hope is safely stored somewhere) it is presenting it.  Likewise, when I analyse intra-membrane particles I don't present every measurement, I publish a histogram, with mean values and standard deviations.  But of course I still have the measurement of every particle.  The reader does not expect to see the raw data - in the case of a digital image on paper that is impossible, and in the case of a particle analysis it would be incomprehensible - he or she expects to be presented with what the data reveals.

                                                  Guy

Optical Imaging Techniques in Cell Biology
by Guy Cox    CRC Press / Taylor & Francis
     http://www.guycox.com/optical.htm
Associate Professor Guy Cox, MA, DPhil(Oxon)
Australian Centre for Microscopy & Microanalysis,
Madsen Building F09, University of Sydney, NSW 2006

Phone +61 2 9351 3176     Fax +61 2 9351 7682
             Mobile 0413 281 861
      http://www.guycox.net