CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

December 2004

From:
Guenter Giese <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 2004 10:29:16 +0100

Dear microscopists,

multiwell glass bottom cell culture plates suitable for confocal microscopy
are quite expensive (15 to 50 € / $ each), and we would like to reuse them
if possible. We do time lapse microscopy experiments on living cells

Reuse of glassware in cell culture was (is still?) commonplace, but the
combination of glass and plastic and the high surface to volume ratio of
multiwell plates may be disadvantageous in this respect.

Two scenarios:

i) Only some wells of the multiwell plate are used for cell culture in one
experiment: Used wells could be treated individually after the experiment
to kill any living cells / bacteria and to inactivate viruses.
- Which chemicals / methods are safe in preventing collateral damage to
neighboring, unused wells?

ii) All wells are used:
- By which method could one clean and treat the plates to allow proper
growth of the cells (cleaning / surface treatment protocol)?

I know that it is wise to use new material, but at least for preliminary
checks we would like to reuse the plates. One could also preclean new
plates to allow comparison of results (after comparison of results obtained
with used vs unused plates).

Guenter

Dr. Guenter Giese
Light Microscopy Facility
Dept. of Biomedical Optics, MPI fuer Medizinische Forschung
Jahnstr. 29, D-69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Phone (+49) 6221-486-360 (Fax: -325)
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
http://www.mpimf-heidelberg.mpg.de/~ggiese/lightmicro