CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 2002

From:
Mike Bode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Oct 2002 10:46:09 -0600

Nico raises an important point here that I had alluded to earlier: RAID
alone is not the answer. RAID can protect you against certain problems, such
as breakdown of a hard disk, etc. But even the best RAID system cannot
protect you against a fire in the server room. If you want highest data
security, you need to have a backup strategy for your RAID system. You can
put it on DVDs, a tape, or have a mirror system at a different site, but
it's something you need to think about.

Administration: Yes, whatever system you choose, some administration needs
to be done. However, we are using a NAS (Network Attached Storage) system
here, and it has been running without problems for years. It does not have
any CDs or monitors or other cards, and it is administered through a web
interface, so software upgrades are not really necessary. We have a DELL,
but there are others available. Once you have it up correctly, you can
probably get by without too much administration. I would guess this is
different if you set up a PC with RAID storage. You have to worry about OS,
drivers, Raid configuration, etc.

mike

Michael Bode, Ph.D.
Soft Imaging System Corp.