CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

January 2004

From:
George McNamara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Jan 2004 17:19:56 -0500

Dear Confocalists,

I came across the following press release from the UK Competition
Commission. Even though they wanted to hear from all interested parties by
22 January 2004, I strongly encourage you to write the commission, whether
you are for or against the acquisition. I happen to be for it: there will
be plenty of competition in MPE, CLSM, spinning disk confocal, digital
deconvolution, etc, after Bio-Rad leaves this market. I am whelmed that
neither Zeiss nor Bio-Rad have have publicized this on their web sites or
to this community listserv.

George

http://www.competition-commission.org.uk/press_rel/archive/2003/dec/html/56-
03.htm

56-03

PROPOSED ACQUISITION BY CARL ZEISS JENA GMBH OF THE MICROSCOPY BUSINESS OF
BIO-RAD LABORATORIES INC
Competition Commission invites evidence
The OFT has today asked the Competition Commission (CC) to look into the
proposed acquisition by Carl Zeiss Jena GmbH of Bio-Rad Laboratories Inc.

The CC has been asked to consider whether the proposed acquisition may be
expected to result in a substantial lessening of competition within any
market or markets in the United Kingdom for goods or services namely, the
supply of advanced 3D Microscopes (which here includes single-photon and
multi-photon microscopes) in the United Kingdom. The CC is required to
publish its report by 14 June 2004.

The CC would like to hear from all interested parties, in writing, by 22
January 2004. To submit evidence, please write to:

Inquiry Secretary (ZEISS/ BIO-RAD)
Competition Commission
New Court
48 Carey Street
LONDON
WC2A 2JT

Or email: [log in to unmask]

Notes for Editors

The Enterprise Act 2002 empowers the OFT to refer to the CC completed or
proposed mergers for investigation and report which create or enhance a 25
per cent share of supply in the UK (or a substantial part thereof) or where
the UK turnover associated with the enterprise being acquired is over £70
million (see OFT Press Release PN 174/03).

The CC has a 24-week period in which it is required to publish its report,
which may be extended by no more than eight weeks if it considers that
there are special reasons why the report cannot be published within that
period.

Further information can be obtained from the CC’s web site at:
http://www.competition-commission.org.uk.

Enquiries should be directed to Francis Royle, Press Officer, tel: 020 7271
0242.