CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

May 2009

From:
Cameron Nowell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 May 2009 08:28:01 +1000
Hi Lisa,

Thought i woudl chip in with my experience as well. We have 2 Olympus MPE Systems, one inverted and one upright that share a common Mai Tai Laser (the laser can only be sent to one scope at a time). The upright is used routinely for intravital imaging and has performed flawlessly. We have imaged zebra fish and mice (both live and dead) on it and acheived some spectacular data sets.

The current configuration has on large 0.95NA water imersion 20x objective on it, but it is easy enough to slip another turret of objectives onto it if required. Not sure if it is true for other system but the olympus system is tuned to work with the 20x objective in multiphoton mode, so putting other objectives on may not result in optimal imaging. For single photon excitation it doesn't matter.

The software is stable and easy enough to use. Users are usually up and going independently after a coupel of hours of training and practice.

The only issue i have with it is that you can not communicate directly with the laser via the Olympus software. You can control the laser power via an ND filter system but other functions (such as wave length tuning) are carried out using a seperate software package installed on a laptop plugged into the laser.

One last thing worth mentioning is that both microscoes are fitted with black acrylic incubators (thanks to Steve Cody for this). They work so well at blocking out light that you can perform MP imaging with the room lights on!

Also look into what the service provided by the companies are in your area. Here in Melbourne Olympus are probaly one of the best for response and quality of service. There is no point getting the best microsocpe out there if the peopel in your area are not that good at keeping it going.

Cheers

Cam

Cameron J. Nowell
Microscpy Manager
Central Resource for Advanced Microscopy
Ludwig Insttue for Cancer Research
PO Box 2008
Royal Melbourne Hospital
Victoria, 3050