CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

January 2012

From:
Hendrik Deschout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jan 2012 18:07:54 +0100

Hello Christophe,

If your camera does not show photon counts, you can easily determine the conversion factor between the pixel intensity and the number of photons yourself, as mentioned by Andrew. The approach exploits the Poisson statistics of the photon numbers, see also "Scientific Charge-Coupled Devices" by Janesick.

The interpretation of the background term "b" in the Thompson formula is somewhat tricky. Someone once pointed out to me that, in case you approximate the PSF by a two-dimensional Gaussian, it is the number of photons that comes from the background, plus the shoulders of the PSF which are not described by the Gaussian. If you again assume a Poisson distribution for the photon numbers, "b^2" can be determined as the variance of the background pixel intensities near the PSF (corrected with the conversion factor of course).

By the way, I would like to note that the Thompson formula (and in particular the 30% error) has been corrected by Mortensen et al. in their very nice Nature Methods paper (2010, vol. 7, no. 5). Also note that the Thompson formula was derived for a CCD camera. In case of an electron multiplying CCD camera, the entire expression for "sigma^2" should be multiplied by 2, the electron multiplication is to blame, this is often ignored. In this case, it also means that the background variance you measure is actually equal to "2*b^2".

With kind regards,

Hendrik

Hendrik Deschout
Biophotonic Imaging Group
Lab. General Biochemistry and Physical Pharmacy
Ghent University
Harelbekestraat 72
9000 Gent
Belgium