CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 2009

From:
Richard Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Oct 2009 12:15:05 -0400
Hi Adrian
I had the opportunity to build our facility from the ground up (so to
speak).  We are on the 3rd floor of a new building (the Biotron) and we have
2 TEMs, an SEM, a confocal and numerous widefield microscopes.  By working
with the architects, engineers and various contractors and making them
understand our requirements we don't have vibration issues.  The facility
was designed to the vibrations requirements of the most sensitive piece of
equipment (the TEMs).  The floor are vibrationally isolated from the support
columns and the rest of the building.  It cost more in construction but has
paid off downstream. I will admit we have had some leak issues but because
they were anticipated (to a degree) damge was limited and recoverable.
My advice is stay connected with the building process and make sure you
voice issues as they arise.  Take frequent trips through the building during
construction.
Rick,

Richard Harris, Manager - Integrated Microscopy @ Biotron
The Biotron - Center for Experimental Climate Change Research
University of Western Ontario,
London Ontario, CANADA.
N6A 5B7
Ph.  519-661-2111 ext. 86780