CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

August 1999

From:
Donald O'Malley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 1999 13:49:45 -0400
Hi All,

     Regarding the request about DVD information (which
no one has yet responded to, and I unfortunately am
unfamiliar with), I wanted to raise a related question as
to whether or not CDs will be around in 10 years.
Even if you're generating a couple of gigabytes per day,
you can easily store it on CDs as long as your files don't exceed
600 Megabytes.  Any user with a CD rom can read their
disk.  And just like we haven't given up our record players yet
(at least some of us), I don't think we'll have given up all
our CD players in 10 years.

    So my actual question is, is there any reason to go with
a DVD over CD?  Also, if anyone knows of particular CD
writers to avoid, please let me know, perhaps off line.
We're gonna get one for both a Mac and a PC and
I'm planning on acquiring a write-once CD writer.
I'm just about to purchase a CD writer for our imaging
systems and I suspect that the Jaz drives we're
using now won't be around in 10 years.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Don

Donald M. O'Malley, Ph.D.