CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

May 2006

From:
Olaf Selchow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 May 2006 13:04:14 +0200

Sorry, but the last mail accidentially went out before it was written.

Hello all,

I have a question concerning the 2P-properties of the new FPs

mRFP1
mHoneydew
mBanana
mOrange
dTomato
tdTomato
mTangerine
mStrawberry
mCherry

Published in

Shaner NC, Steinbach PA, Tsien RY.
A guide to choosing fluorescent proteins.
Nat Methods. 2005 Dec;2(12):905-9.

And

Shaner NC, Campbell RE, Steinbach PA, Giepmans BN, Palmer AE, Tsien RY.
Improved monomeric red, orange and yellow fluorescent proteins derived from
Discosoma sp. red fluorescent protein.
Nat Biotechnol. 2004 Dec;22(12):1567-72. Epub 2004 Nov 21

Does anybody know the 2P excitation spectra (cross sections) ? Have they
been measured?

Does anybody have experience with how bright they actually come out / how
well they are expressed when fused to membrane proteins? Can we expect them
to be brighter than eGFP / eYFP in the membranes of our HeLa / Cos systems?

If we would like to give it a try, what would be the easiest way to get
them?

Thanks for any help / tips / hints!

Olaf

| Dr. Olaf Selchow                                        |
| Central Imaging Facility: Microscopy & Image Analysis   |
| University of Stuttgart                                 |
| Institute of Cell Biology and Immunology - SFB 495      |
| phone: +49 (0)711 685 68209                             |
| http://www.uni-stuttgart.de/izi/microscopy/             |