CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2019

From:
Tsutomu Shimotori <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Mar 2019 06:37:07 -0600

Hello.

About 2.5 years ago our computer for Zeiss 710 was unintentionally,
automatically updated from Win 7 to Win 10 when graduate students were
using it.  At that time the computer was connected to internet.  We didn't
know about the Win 10 incompatibility issue, and we continued to run the
instrument for a while after the update.  On the surface there seemed no
problem running it with Win 10.  But after a couples of months the HDD
corrupted and we had to call service to get it repaired.  The serviceman
basically wiped off the HDD and reinstalled Win 7 and Zen and tested the
instrument.  He told us that Zeiss 710 shouldn't be run with Win 10.  Since
then we were so afraid of the automatic updates that we decided to disable
all kinds of automatic updates and disconnect the computer from internet,
and use the instrument completely offline.

So did they find a fix for the Win 10 incompatibility issue?  I personally
would still avoid Win 10 update.  At this moment there is no need for
updating the computer to Win 10 as far as we are concerned.  Running an
instrument offline, without making a change from the initial install, is
the safest...

Tsutomu "Shimo" Shimotori
University of Minnesota Duluth