CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

January 2014

From:
"Turnbull, Lon" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jan 2014 17:39:23 +0000

Hi John,

I do not know the answer to your first questions, but I can give you an answer to your third question.
Spinning disk systems that I am familiar with have a fixed pinhole size that is optimized for a particular objective, usually the highest power objective.  Therefore, the lower power objectives have a larger optical section.  With a small enough power objective, for example, the optical section becomes very large and might even be considered to be non-confocal.  For example, if a 100x objective has a 0.91 micrometer optical section then on the same system a 5x objective has a 95 micrometer optical section.

Lon

Microscope manager
Department of Biological Sciences
University of North Texas