CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 2012

From:
Tobias Baskin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Oct 2012 10:18:44 -0400

Johannes and listers,
		In America, when math gets too intense, a student
turns to sports; in England, when maths get too intense, the student
turns to sport.

	This example illustrates the ideosyncracies of English and
ingoring them shows the same disregard for your reader as shown by
filling somone's cup with coffee who obviously doesn't want any.
Pubmed lists 10^5 hits for 'microscopy' but 10^2 for 'microscopies'
which shows that writers of English have a strong preference for the
singular. I would argue that following the preferences of readers is
in fact logical if your goal is to communciate.

	But in any case, English allows the same word (e.g.,
'microscopy') to be used not only as a category (which is indeed
illogical to make plural) but also as an exemplification of that
category (which makes perfect sense to pluralize). So in this case,
direct logic cannot really help.

	As many of the listers have suggested if the author wishes to
emphasize the individual nature of the different systems then, to
avoid the averse plural, the author can choose a differerent word
('techniques' or 'microscopes'). Otherwise, the author can emphasize
the science in question--namely microscopy.

	Write on!
		Tobias

--
      /  \   /          / \    /   \ \       Tobias I. Baskin