CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 2009

From:
Heather A Owen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Oct 2009 13:53:39 -0500
Hi Mike,

A trick taught to me my a microbiologist (Mark McBride) is to make a 0.7% agarose solution in water (microwave to dissolve), and while it is still hot use a Pasteur pipet to flow a layer onto a microscope slide to cover it.  I usully suspend the slides on wooden applicator sticks in case the agarose runs off, otherwise the solution wicks under the slide.  Once the agarose gels, apply a drop of culture on top, then coverslip it.  The pad of agarose needs to be larger than the coverslip you want to use.  The cells stay immobile, and actually stay alive for a long time.

Sincerely yours,
Heather Owen

Dr. Heather A. Owen
Director, Electron Microscope Laboratory
Department of Biological Sciences
University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee
Lapham Hall
3209 N. Maryland Avenue