CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2009

From:
Tina Carvalho <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Nov 2009 08:07:56 -1000
I apologize for cross-posting...

A student here wants to find a fluorescent dye for lignin so that she can
see it on her (mostly red) autofluorescing grass. The grass will be
subjected to various harsh treatments to rid it of the lignin, but so far
it seems that all the treatments result in lignin being redopisited on the
material in droplets. We can see the droplets with SEM, but would like to
find a good way to quantify the amount of remaining cells walls
(cellulose) that is covered by lignin droplets. I think the ultimate goal
is to use image analysis to get some numbers.

Any ideas?

Aloha from sunny and warm Honolulu,
Tina

* Tina (Weatherby) Carvalho               * [log in to unmask]           *
* Biological Electron Microscope Facility * (808) 956-6251                 *
* University of Hawaii at Manoa           * http://www.pbrc.hawaii.edu/bemf*